Did you know that there are no active volcanoes in Australia? It’s true, and it’s because it sits in the middle of a tectonic plate. Pele is the Hawaiian goddess of fire and volcanoes and was thought to live in the crater of the Kilauea volcano on Hawaii. She is said to have a terrible temper and will throw lava at anyone who angers her. Some people have been known to send back lava samples they have taken from the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park because of the bad luck they associate with Pele. There is so much to learn when volcanoes are involved; history, science, math and reading, because when you hear about these cool facts, you will want to read more!
Volcano Facts for Kids
Before you jump into the volcano science experiment, share these interesting facts about volcanos with your little learners:
- There are about 1,900 active volcanoes on the earth. This means they have erupted recently or they might erupt. Some volcanoes are extinct. Over 80 volcanoes have been found in the ocean.
- Most volcanoes happen on fault lines, or cracks in the Earth’s surface.
- Most of the earth’s volcanoes are in the Pacific Ocean, in an area called the Ring of Fire.
- The word “volcano” comes from Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.
- Lava from volcanoes can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Volcanoes spew out ash and toxic gases, as well as lava and lava boulders.
Volcano Science Experiment for Kids
Check out these kids use household chemicals to recreate a volcanic eruption!
Using the Volcano Kit from the video, little scientists are asked to mix chemicals to make the volcano erupt! This will be an experiment that Young Scientists will want to repeat again and again!
Magic School Bus Science Kits
Get an exciting new Magic School Bus Science Kit delivered to your doorstep every month for a YEAR! These science experiments for kids include hands-on experiments with magnets, water, bacteria, fungus, lights, rainbows, and more!
Educents has the award-winning Science Kit subscription for 50% off (Get free shipping within the U.S. and $2/kit shipping to Canada)!