Bread is SUPER easy to make and ends up costing about 25c per loaf! Not only is it frugal, but it tastes so much better than store-bought bread!
- 2 cup water – Heated to about 100 degrees F
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups flour (I like “Bread Flour” but you can use any type)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons bread yeast
- 2 egg whites (This does not go IN the bread, so keep it to the side for now)
- Remove any jewelry on your hands and roll up your sleeves, be prepared to get a little messy!
- Put all dry ingredients into a bowl, mix in wet ingredients (minus the eggs)
- When all liquid has been absorbed, you can pour everything onto a clean surface and start kneeding it with your hands.
- Continue kneeding until everything is evenly mixed and holds together easily.
- Place in oiled breadpan and spread out evenly.
- Cover with a clean towel and leave it out on your counter for about 2 hours to rise.
- Once dough is done rising, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take a knife and slice a deep line down the length of the dough, then brush the egg whites over the top of the dough.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
When purchasing your ingredients, look for the largest containers you can find. Jars of yeast are usually found in the refrigerated isle, and as long as you keep it cold it will last a VERY long time. Don’t bother buying the pouches of yeast, unless that is all your store carries, because it ends up costing an arm and a leg that way.
Experiment with different flour types and different flavor ingredients, like parmesan cheese added to your dry ingredients before mixing (and sprinkling it on top before baking) or melted peanut butter in place of some water. The recipe above is VERY basic white bread, but can go in so many different directions.